Sunday, February 5, 2012

My Pre-1912 Project Project

In rememberance of the Titanic, the Vintage Pattern Lending Library is doing a year long project of transcribing original patterns and having test-stitchers 'test' them out - and I'm participating in this project! As we're close to my group getting our first pattern to test out, I've been debating about making a period corset for these garments to go over, especially since many of the other ladies have been making foundation garments in prep for the patterns. During my years in undergrad, I blew up the 1911 corset from Norah Waugh's Corsets and Crinolines for my Costume Construction class - I made a full mock-up and my mentor fit it to me. I figure, well, there's step one down (just need to double-check the fit since I've changed a bit since then) and I have enough coutil and boning for a few corsets, so supplies isn't really an issue, might as well make one, right?

This is the corset pattern per the book:


Because of its length, I'm planning to use spiral boning - I normally use spring steel for all center backs due to the strains of lacing, but as it will be going over my most prominent curves (I have swayback and a larger derriere - basically, a natural s-curve, no padding needed!), I will probably have to use the spiral so that I can still sit down comfortably, especially in a vehicle when travelling. I will be using a white coutil for this, though I may embellish it with some hand-painting or embroidery or dye it...so many options! Part of me is thinking maybe a nice evening blue with white embroidery along the busk...perhaps I'll go that route.

I will post again once I've made the decision as to my chosen fabric modification and have started the cutting out/construction process. I'm so excited to be doing this and can't wait until I can start posting about the actual patterns for the 1912 project!

No comments:

Post a Comment